Monday, December 2, 2019
Ritaruby
I have just recently entertained the thought that Kavanaugh was so completely sloppy full on drunk that he had black outs and did not remember what he did. This does not make it right at all, but all accusers and pretty much all witnesses say he was a heavy drinker. I don't drink but I would imagine that if you drank the amount he did and as frequently you may have black outs and not recall what you did "under the influence." They say he was a mean drunk. One of the Senators-don't recall who - asked him if he ever had black outs. He never really answered the question. In which case if this theory is true he should have then gone to rehab for alcoholism. 

I would imagine that perhaps he stopped this kind of behavior as an adult after college, otherwise I don't see how he would be able to get married and have children unless this is the most forgiving woman in the world. She appears pretty passive to me, no judgement here.

What do you all think? I guess it doesn't matter now unless the investigation gets reopened if the Dems take back the House and/or the Senate. He very obviously though lied about the amount he drank as well as other lies.

I would be scared if I had a case where he is the deciding vote, even though he apologized in an op - ed - sorry I forgot which paper. Thoughts, links?
Quote 0 0
Ballhawk
Ritaruby, I think you are on the right track.........memory blackouts are possible in cases of very heavy intoxication.  Kavanaugh might have been so heavily boozed up on that day in 1982 that he had no memory of the assault afterwards.  So he thinks he is telling the truth when he denies he ever assaulted Christine Blasey Ford at that party.  Her memory of it is clear because the science of memory tells us that sexually traumatic experiences during youth become implanted in the mind while peripheral details may be forgotten. 
Quote 0 0
scribe
Lied, or blacked out, makes little difference. In my professional opinion, Kavanaugh is unworthy of a seat on the Supreme Court. The credible information provided shows that his values and attitudes are in opposition to those we claim to value.  What has happened to our expectations for this important position?  "SOBER AS A JUDGE"  I am incredibly disappointed at the untrustworthy politicians who changed their opposition recently and now support him at the risk of losing their own supporters.

The Trump era will go down in history as a blight on our values. United States is no longer a place of refuge for the needy.
Sandra Levy Ceren, Ph.D.
San Diego, CA
Quote 0 0
Ballhawk
Scribe, no argument with your professional opinion.  Lied or blacked out due to booze, he was still responsible for his actions with a teenage girl of 15.  Arrogance and a sense of entitlement at work,  an attitude that the person, like Kavanaugh, need not be bothered by accountability, need not be apologetic for obfuscation. 
I also agree with your assessment of the Trump era.  It is a dark period in US history.  We have already sunk to an unprecedented low point in terms of how we as a nation are perceived by other nations, especially in the minds of educated people abroad and here in the US.  The absence of normal civility, the depravity, the decadence of a head of state who lies incessantly, the Mafia-like attitudes......all are evident.  We elected an ignorant, narcissistic buffoon, which is an indictment of a portion of our electorate.  If by chance Trump got re-elected in 2020 it would mark the USA as a nation regressive rather than progressive, ruled by troglodytes and neanderthals, not worthy to be "leader of the free world."
Quote 1 0
Ritaruby
Ballhawk, I realize you were responding to Scribe here but I also posted on the possibility that Kavanaugh in particular-and perhaps one or more of his accusers was do drunk that a blackout occurred and the horror that was committed was not remembered, and I have been there and also witnessed this behavior, I certainly can not speak for Scribe or anyone else. (You know how I tend to butt in on everyone's posts LOL). Seriously though, I was in no way implying Kavanaugh was or is innocent. He clearly lied about his level of drinking while in college and high school, and I still believe the women more than he. I completely agree with your assessment of our era while Trump is in office, how are perceived by other countries and what it would be like in the USA in 2020 if Trump was re-elected.
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
I agree with you Scribe. I know firsthand about these incidents and was just brining this up as a possible theory - by no means an excuse for Kavanaugh's behavior-because many said he "became a different person while drunk." I did not mean to give him any benefit of the doubt, I hope he is not confirmed and as I post this it looks razor thin close. I was pleased to read that Murkowski is a no vote...but she will not be enough. Sadder even than his despicable confirmation would be the huge ego boost that it would give Trump, the serving GOP and his supporters. They say we may need to fight harder now to win because - and don't ask me why - by attacking the accusers at campaign rallies and pushing Kavanaugh probably through-or even not-Trump has energized his base. Now almost all of the serving GOP have an "us or them" mentality and trash the Democrats and others just like Trump does.
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
I agree with you Ballhawk. But I also agree that this does not excuse him. Again having firsthand knowledge of what you mention and knowing the circumstances, even if he did not remember he clearly lied about the level of his drinking to the Senators, as well I believe as certain references they questioned him on in his yearbook - and that is minus the other lies he told. And then we have that lovely performance, even of an accused man - to the Senate for which he wrote an op ed apology - but for which I feel many will not forget. In my opinion it is clear he lies and lacks the proper impulse control for even a Judge let alone a Supreme Court Judge. Let's hope that if he does get in it will be better than we thought. His display of rudeness and anger did not go unnoticed and now if he does get in he will be questioned on his partisanship and judgements I am sure.
Quote 0 0
scribe
When bullies prevail as we see constantly on the news, it is natural to feel angry and impotent.  We must find productive healthy ways to survive. Joining with likeminded others and devising counter-punches that offer some possibility of success are good.  But taking a break from the chaos is imperative.   Riveted to news, hoping to learn something good is counterproductive. 
We must go on with our daily lives and meet the needs of work, family, friends, and self-care.   We must have healthy distractions such as exercise, good food, spending time with a friend or a pet support our strength and bring us some joy reminding us of how much we do have and how much we can do together with like-minded others.
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
I completely agree with you Scribe.
Quote 0 0
Ballhawk
I agree with Scribe.  But I also think the most productive way to counter the depravity we see in Trump and his supporters is to vote in every election.  Too many Americans are in a state of ignorance and indifference when it comes to that particular element of civic life.  Only 55.6% of eligible Americans voted in the 2016 general election, while France had a turnout of 70% the year Macron won.  The turnout of eligible voters in the US was only 36% in the 2014 mid-terms and 40% in the 2010 mid-terms.  That means a minority of citizens were choosing the elected officials in those mid-terms.  And it means that about 45% of eligible American voters did not even show up at the polls when Trump won the 2016 election.  
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
Agreed Ballhawk. But I do think that the energy on our side for this upcoming mid term election is huge and that there will be much more turnout than before. I think there are too many angry Democrats. I am saddened to hear that the Kavanaugh confirmation is said to have energized the base-but it also got a lot more people "fired up" on the left-such as more women. I have at home in prior mid terms I will admit. I did not understand the significance of them and if I was ok with the President and local representation many times I did not vote. This year, after having been through all this crap with Trump, I will likely vote in every mid term, but you can bet I will be voting in this one! And in this one in particular I think that there is no reason to not vote. Absentee ballots are available, we just mailed one in for my mom who is in assisted living.
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
I meant I have stayed at or sat at home in prior mid terms, won't in this one. Whoops.
Quote 0 0