Ritaruby
Does anyone know if the Dems can pull off a stop to the government shutdown? It would seem to me that Trump has to sign off on any bill and that Mitch the Ditch Witch McConnell has to be involved...but I'm not sure. Anyone know about this? Thoughts, links?
Quote 0 0
dfcloud
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understand it is this... First: McTurtle has to send the bill to tweetledum to be signed. Second: If tweetledum vetos the bill, congress can override the veto and pass it. 
Quote 2 0
QuietStorm
I think you're right on that dfcloud.  Not sure myself on the second part where Congress can override the wannabe dictator, but I pray you're right!  Just hope the Dems hold strong on not budging an inch on giving more money for a damn wall, which means nothing more than a 'monument' Trump wants to be remembered for to glorify himself ! 
Quote 0 0
dfcloud
I just looked it up:
By threatening a veto, the President can persuade legislators to alter the content of the bill to be more acceptable to the President. Congress can override a veto by passing the act by a two-thirds vote in both the House and the Senate. (Usually an act is passed with a simple majority.)

Congress at Work—The Presidential Veto and ... - National Archives

Quote 1 0
QuietStorm
Thank you for checking on that.  The joy went out of me when you discovered the Senate ALSO has to have a 2/3 majority vote to pass the bill after the Fuhrer's veto.  I fear more time lost being stuck in limbo with this government shutdown!
Quote 1 0
Ritaruby
Yes, thanks from me too dfcloud. This is great information. QuietStorm please don't let the joy run out of you....The Dems are in and more and more people are out to prove Trump, his administration and his cronies are criminals.
Quote 2 0
Ritaruby
The Dems have said they would end the shutdown - they have implied without giving Trump his border wall (should be built around him!) money....I really hope somehow they can reopen the government and not give Creepcrap his 5.7 billion for the border wall - not needed while the country is already over a trillion dollars in debt since Trump took office. Pelosi and Schumer have been around the block more times than I can count and are working with the nutcase and the enablers in the GOP..I have confidence in them and will also pray for them as they have a tough job now..so many issues to try and repair as well as investigate all at once.
Quote 2 0
dfcloud
As Ritaruby says, don't let the joy run out of you QuietStorm. I'm thinking that many repubs, excluding McTurtle,  and maybe Graham, will be worried enough about keeping their "positions" to go along with Pelosie and Schumer. And if McTurtle refuses to send the bill to tweetledum, the shutdown will officially become the trump/McConnell shutdown. So there is a probability that the obstructor in chief will send the bill to the WhiteHouse... At least let's hope so. I'm confident that Nancy has enough savy to work her magic.
Quote 1 0
Delta Flight
Trump is a psychopath
Any landing you walk away from is great.
Quote 3 0
Ritaruby
Delta Flight, for sure, Trump is a psychopath. I believe he has multiple other mental illnesses which are serious and for which he is obviously not getting any help or medication. It has gone beyond  malignant narcissism. Now we are in straight jacket territory, plain and simple. "Let me run MY country and MY people and make MY OWN DECISIONS ALL BY MYSELF - everyone and everything in the USA belongs to me  and I should have people around me who agree with ME, ME, ME" - no matter how dangerous his lack of impulse control has or will become. I hope the Dems and others make his life a living hell starting now...the serving GOP is beginning to make "bubble noises" about issues concerning Trump but I still see no real spine or backbone...or decency. I think aside from Putin and the other dictators Hitler must be his hero.
WE NEED HIM OUT AND WE NEED HIM OUT NOW!!!!
Quote 2 0
Ritaruby
dfcloud I love your terminology re: Trump and McConnell and the others...and I have a lot of faith in Nancy Pelosi. She's hired a top notch Attorney to be the House Lawyer and I don't think she is ready for games with Trump. I hope the Dems and others - per my prior post - stomp all over Trump and drive him out. As to Pence and the other serving GOP they also have come up with bills giving Trump A LOT of money for the border wall and the Dems DACA protections but Trump has refused to sign several now which were passed by the House and the Senate...I wonder, can they give him money for the idiot wall then when we get a Democratic President or if he leaves first - perhaps Pence or the Democratic President can stop/knock down the wall...and get the money back. Trump traded the USA for his crime debts, it is so obvious. 

As to Joy we all need to keep it. Let Trump, Huckabee-Sanders, McConnell and the serving GOP rot spewing hate and fear....we don't need to give them the satisfaction of joining them or being like them.
Quote 1 0
QuietStorm
What keeps me sane through all of this,  is the knowledge that the majority of Americans are 'awake' and 'aware' of Trump's corruption and habitual lies he makes up off the top of his head.  It is our free press he sees as his greatest enemy, since they can fact check what he says.  I want to see the electoral votes come to an end, since the GOP have gerrymandered district lines to give themselves the advantage, and had it not been for the electoral, Trump would not have won.  It also concerns me that I heard Ivanka has a contract with China to make voting machines!  It doesn't take much stretch to wonder why!  No doubt they can be ' manipulated ' !
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
QuietStorm, I agree, the same things keep me sane through all of this as well. I agree about the electoral college but I don't think we can get that changed unless there is a Democratic President and enough Democrats to vote for it..you know no Republican will ever vote for that. It is completely unfair and unfortunately we may have an uphill climb for awhile but Obama I believe won the electoral college twice - if someone knows differently, please correct me...so hard as it may be it still can be done. We retook the House in a big way. I had NOT heard about Ivanka having a contract with China to make voting machines? I don't know how I missed that..that is certainly concerning and frightening but she is in trouble now for her crimes too....so maybe it won't happen.
Quote 1 0
Destroy_Trumpturd_Now
Ritaruby wrote:
Does anyone know if the Dems can pull off a stop to the government shutdown? It would seem to me that Trump has to sign off on any bill and that Mitch the Ditch Witch McConnell has to be involved...but I'm not sure. Anyone know about this? Thoughts, links?

Well to be honest, first of all, I'm very disappointed with Nancy Pelosi when supposedly there are petitions going around for trump to be impeached and now she STILL saying that impeachment is not necessary at this time because to me she feels that trump hasn't done anything so wrong yet, which I don't understand what is her exact definition of trump hurting America is when we all can see clearly everything he's done to us and its STILL NOT enough for her to say we can impeach trump now and I bet if trump shoots someone in the open, Nancy still would not do anything about it so if you ask me if I believe that the Democrats will reopen the Government, to be honest, I don't know what to think anymore and I guess my Mom is right, the Democrats are only gonna end up being submissive to him and forget about America😐 I guess I'll just have to see for myself what will happen and if it will happen hopefully it will be NOW.
Quote 0 0
dfcloud
No, Nancy is waiting for Mueller's final findings... then she's gonna zap him!
Quote 0 0