Monday, December 2, 2019
Constance Lowery Show full post »
Ballhawk
Hi Ritaruby:  I agree we are in uncharted territory as we (and many Americans) ponder how to terminate the presidency of Donald Trump.  That is because the nature of Trump's offenses are different from those we have seen in the recent past.  However the US Constitution is not uncharted territory.  In one post I gave history of past 2 impeachments plus described the Nixon resignation.  In a separate post I gave the two principle ways a president can be removed under the Constitution, by the 25th Amendment and by Article II (bribery, treason, high crimes or misdemeanors).  Possibly you and others on this board are thinking that criminal indictments followed by convictions in a court of law are a third way?  (apart from resignation)  I am inclined to think that Article II is still the most likely and workable avenue by which attempts to remove Trump will be made.  Impeachment is primarily a political process.  Mueller will submit his report to Rosenstein when he finishes, at which point Rosenstein has some latitude as to how he will respond.  One way or the other, the content of Mueller's work will reach Congress, the press, and the public.  At that point it seems to me that it will be incumbent upon the members of the House of Representatives to evaluate the report and decide whether to bring a bill of impeachment, and the passage of such a bill could be affected by whether or not the Democrats gain control of the House in the 2018 mid-terms.  If a bill of impeachment passes in the House, regardless of which party is in control, it will then go to the Senate.  The task at that point would be to achieve 67 votes (two-thirds of the Senate) required to remove Trump from office, again a political process.  I think if Mueller's findings are extremely serious, as we all think they will be, there will be tremendous press and public pressure upon members of Congress to remove Trump from office.  Anybody have any contrary or supplemental thoughts on all this?
Quote 0 0
bart
23621599_10210562112790791_4648419113054077435_n.jpg  23905456_547833068892798_4335413126247484122_n.jpg  23915616_1956275578030051_1938220298901865476_n.jpg 
Quote 1 0
Ritaruby
Love these Bart!😃
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
Hi Ballhawk...I confess here that you seem more politically astute than I. I did not really follow politics much in the past, being ill have tried to stay clear of lots of bad news and drama...though even when not my choices I felt pretty safe with each individual President. I loved Obama, although now in hindsight I think he made some serious mistakes about not acting (more fully I mean-he did act) on the Russian invasion and the information he had, but I got so comfortable that I honestly only voted for the most part in the Presidential elections, not for Senators, etc. I felt very safe with Obama and benefited to a degree from the ACA and all of the good work he did. Until this tragedy which is Trump I was not too politically aware..and I am still learning...I am beyond obsessed with the Russia investigation-one, because I want them to get Trump and his dirty cronies, and two because I find the way the Investigative Reporters and others piece together the "parts of the puzzle" and am interested in how they obtain their information. The ONLY thing positive about this lousy Presidency is that it has made me much more politically aware and I am much more involved than ever before, as much as I can. I watch more (mainstream!) news and am familiar with most of the issues going on - but not the history or the laws that you mention. I now know that our Senators carry more power than I ever thought they did...and hopefully this will become a historical reckoning and awakening for all of us - a lesson as to how not to let this horror occur again. I think Trump is being closed in on big time...and I do believe he'd fire Mueller in a heartbeat, even start a war to divert attention...but Mueller has other Prosecutors involved and I do believe many millions of people now are beyond fed up with Trump's behavior, dirty filthy dealings, lies and attacks on just about everyone who doesn't go along with everything he does. Long response. Thank you for the information...Anyone have anything to add? Do appreciate your post.
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
Hi Bob, your post makes much sense. Good luck on getting that black coffee...I am fighting the coffee addiction myself yet again...and you are correct, we must be patient and wait...and Trump is fast coming unraveled...he may unravel completely even before they can get him out of office....we all need to exercise patience...and do our part by continuing to sign petitions, call Senators (yes, even when there is no response) etc. Always great to hear from you Bob.😃
Quote 0 0
Delta Flight
Job security?

Slide 14 of 102: Walt Handelsman/The New Orleans Advocate
Any landing you walk away from is great.
Quote 1 0
Ritaruby
These are great cartoons, DF!
Quote 0 0