Monday, December 2, 2019
Ritaruby
I personally have mixed feelings about Comey, as well as Andrew McCabe. Do not think he should have been fired at the particular time he was and how it was done though. I think he has done some great things and some very not so great things. I do blame him and McCabe in part for Hillary's loss as they had no problems releasing her "30,000 emails" 11 or so days before the election and then retracting it and making NO mention of Trump being under investigation by the FBI prior to the election so the American public could be aware of THAT. You all know I am a Hillary fan, but no matter who you voted for (as long as not Trump) I think this was some sort of dirty political trick-which perhaps Comey and McCabe fell into a trap of. Also the release and timing of Comey's book...while what I have heard quoted seems to be all true-especially about Trump-agitating Trump at a time like this is dangerous for the country and with Trump and company attacking the FBI and DOJ constantly I can't imagine that his book helped. Your thoughts?
Quote 1 0
droberts
I liked Clinton, but she was her own worst enemy with her choice of email server and her aide whose disgusting husband had access to her laptop. To me that was a stupid thing for her to have let happen. Comey, I was pissed at what he did, but then I wasn't in his shoes trying to do his job. People can guess at everything that he could have done differently, but until you're in their shoes you really don't know. I feel he's a standup guy who can be trusted and I hope people read his book to make up their own mind about him and not listen to Trump or the Republican Right's propaganda BS. I say "Go get'em Comey", hope his book does well!
"Where law ends tyranny begins"  John Locke
Locke defines tyranny as "the exercise of power beyond right." A just leader is bound by the laws of the legislative and works for the people, whereas a tyrant breaks the laws and acts on his own behalf

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men (and women) to do nothing."  Edmund Burke
Quote 1 0
Bobcarper99
Good Monday morning...

Bob Carper here on this wet gloppy morning....just to stick my head in the door and then to go eat my breakfast.  I have read all the latest posts and once again, I will be vanishing into the morning cloudy day.  I cannot add anything to the politics simply because I know so very little about what has been happening.  Politics is a term I have learned to keep a safe distance away from.  What goes on in th world of politics, let them fight it out.  I am infinitely better off keeping close to my family, enjoying them, and staying with my reading.  Let the politicians and those that want to add their comments in their own world.  Politics and the commentary regarding such politics is in another world.

Cheers for a good Monday morning
Bob Carper

bobcarper99@yahoo.com
Quote 0 0
Ballhawk
I totally agree with the post by droberts.  The best way to understand Comey will be to read his book I think.  I disagree with Comey on a couple of points.  He said Trump has above-average intelligence (in yesterday's TV interview) and I would seriously question that.  Comey apparently said he thinks the country should wait and vote Trump out of office in 2020 rather than go for impeachment, a position with which I very strongly disagree.  Millions of Americans, myself included, want Trump impeached, convicted, and removed from office.  Waiting until 2020 would not be an adequate response to a serial law-breaker.  I was very surprised at that view by Comey.
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
Good morning to you, Bob and great to hear from you again. I hear where you are coming from re: politics, but we are in a crisis state and I respectfully disagree...I think we all need to do something, do our part at least whatever we can do...as well as spend time with (loving and respectful) family and friends. Have a wonderful day Bob!
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
I do agree with you droberts, once again. I do think Hillary Clinton made some bad mistakes and choices, specifically as you mention-careless and not too intelligent for a very intelligent otherwise woman-but her intent was never a bad one at all I don't believe. I have mixed feelings about Comey. Even with everything I still think that both he and McCabe mishandled the timing of the information on her emails and failed to publicize at all the fact that the FBI had been investigating Trump, which I think could possibly have at least helped cause her the election which makes me sad and angry...especially with who we have now. That being said, I do believe Comey always had the best interest of the country in mind and did a lot of hard and valuable work. I do applaud him for having the guts to say what we all know publicly about Trump and how not normal what's going on now is and Trump's not being fit to be president, morally corrupt, etc....and I do hope his book sells well but I think that the timing of it was not smart. I don't think it will help the FBI's cause now and is apparently causing Trump to rage on even more, perhaps put him closer to firing Mueller, Rosenstein, Sessions or even Christopher Wray. Comments in the book about his hands and his skin I think could be left out (though we all agree here) because I think they taint the message...but his book is out and is beyond a best seller...let's just hope it changes some people's minds about Trump and awakens them to the fact that yes, this is NOT normal. Comey says he served under 2 other Presidents and they were nothing like Trump.
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
Ballhawk, again I agree with you. I have Comey's book on order but have read and heard excerpts from it. I saw one of his interviews last night. I agree with you that I do not think Trump has above average intelligence. He has not been caught yet because he has learned how to be very sneaky and back door criminal like. I also agree that I think he should be impeached or resigned and I can't understand why Comey does not think he should be impeached, that we should wait and vote him out. He needs to go NOW.
Quote 0 0
Ballhawk
Regarding Hillary Clinton, I agree she made major mistakes in using an email server in her home in lieu of the State Department-approved system for communications and in allowing State Department email to show up on the home computer of Huma Abedin (discovered by the FBI in a separate investigation of Huma's husband).  The latter mistake was really a bonehead by her, one which caused the last-minute FBI announcements late in the 2016 campaign.  Hillary was sharply criticized by the Inspector General of the State Department for using the home-based server, partly becuase it was likely to be less secure than the government platform.   When I have discussions with friends on how Hillary could have lost the 2016 election to somebody like Trump (and I think there were several reasons) some will point out that she caused many of her own problems.  Had she been a candidate with less "baggage" she might have beaten Trump and thereby saved the nation from its current agony with Trump.
Quote 0 0
dfcloud
Ballhawk wrote:
I totally agree with the post by droberts.  The best way to understand Comey will be to read his book I think.  I disagree with Comey on a couple of points.  He said Trump has above-average intelligence (in yesterday's TV interview) and I would seriously question that.  Comey apparently said he thinks the country should wait and vote Trump out of office in 2020 rather than go for impeachment, a position with which I very strongly disagree.  Millions of Americans, myself included, want Trump impeached, convicted, and removed from office.  Waiting until 2020 would not be an adequate response to a serial law-breaker.  I was very surprised at that view by Comey.

I watched clips of the interview this morning... I find Comey to be highly credible. I wish I could afford to buy his book. Anyway, Comey said he shouldn't be impeached... but keep in mind, there is still a VERY high probability that he could be convicted and imprisoned, which would remove him from office, before 2020. Impeachment (aka Bill Clinton) doesn't guarantee removal from office. In this case, I think all impeachment would do is further unhinge the angry creamsicle and cause further damage to the country.
Quote 0 0
Ballhawk
During the 2016 campaign, while Hillary was being investigated by the FBI, Bill Clinton initiated a conversation with Attorney General Lynch at Phoenix airport.  That was an appalling breach of protocol, a brash act which gave at least an appearance that influence might have been attempted to sway the FBI investigation.  Yet Hillary never made a comment about that, leaving the impression that she approved it by her silence.  That, and other facts, led me to feel strongly that Americans had been presented with a poor choice of candidates for President.   While I never considered voting for Trump, I did understand why many Americans would have reservations about Bill and Hillary Clinton returning to the White House.  Bill Clinton is an effective politician, and was a pretty good president overall, but showed a cavalier disdain for ethics in his meeting with Lynch.  Arrogance by Bill Clinton was a drawback to Hillary's chance for election in my opinion. 
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
I agree with you completely on this one as well Ballhawk. I do think that Bill Clinton made mistakes - and that Attorney General Lynch made mistakes and that it hurt Hillary's campaign. Given all the bad publicity and the fact that Hillary did not "court" the rural areas much and her personality was not as "magnetic" as, say Obama's or others - I can intellectually see why many people thought there was a poor choice of candidates on both sides. However, I think Joe Biden said it best "Hillary made a lousy candidate but would have made a great President" - and that is what I believed and why I personally voted for her. I believe that the Obama administration made mistakes as well, some serious, as I think all administrations did - not acting on what they knew to be the threat from Russia, etc....but I still think Obama made a great President overall...and that to choose Trump over Hillary to me, well, it yielded what we have now. Jennifer Rubin wrote a great column right before the election on why people should vote for Hillary even if they don't like her...comparing what her Presidency would like compared to Trump's and I have to say she was right on. But again I don't think Bill Clinton helped Hillary's chances nor did several people on her campaign or Attorney General Lynch...or Comey or McCabe with the email issues.
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
hi dfcloud, excerpts from Comey's book are being published on line - and not sure if you have social media...and it may come out in paperback form sooner or later. I do disagree though and agree with Ballhawk that I think Trump needs to either be impeached or resign and get completely out of office...and if I have my choice be sent to prison. He is trying to taint our country, as Comey stated and he is trying to turn our democracy into a dictatorship. 
Quote 0 0
Delta Flight
Slide 12 of 69: Dan Wasserman/Tribune Content Agency
Any landing you walk away from is great.
Quote 2 0
Ritaruby
This MAY be the best one, DF!
Quote 0 0