Monday, December 2, 2019
Ritaruby
I have not forgiven Comey for how he handled Hillary Clinton's emails. Perhaps I should but I will not. I think it could have possibly cost her the election - in addition to the Russian hacking.

I am not interested in what Comey has to say about much. Are you? Thoughts? Links?
Quote 0 0
Ballhawk
True, his last minute announcement about Hillary had a negative effect on her chances in the 2016 election.  But we should remember that the root cause of the Hillary investigation was her use of a non-authorized email server in her NY home rather than the government system (more secure) that officials were supposed to use.  She was foolish and careless, to say the least, in using a home-based email server for official State Department correspondence. And, her sidekick Huma Abedin was allowed to transfer State Dept. data to her home laptop where it was accessible to husband under indictment for a separate matter, and was discovered by the FBI in their investigation of him. Absent Hillary's bonehead actions with her email, the FBI investigation would not have been necessary in the first place. Regarding Comey's comments about the current Kavanaugh investigation, I think his words have value because he was FBI Director for years, under both Republican and Democratic administrations, and his knowledge of investigations is extensive due to his experience. 
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
Ballhawk, I understand Hillary made some mistakes. And her "sidekick" as you mention I was never crazy about, to be honest. And yes, Comey was the FBI Director and served a long career in the FBI so I will give you that he has some valuable perspective. But I still believe he cost Hillary the election for the most part-minus Russian meddling and Trump's dirty tricks-so he is not tops on my list of credible people. He made mistakes as well, so if we give him the benefit of the doubt we should give it to Hillary also. I would term Hillary's actions as mistakes rather than "bonehead actions." I voted for Hillary and I would do so again if she ever ran. Given she was careless and should not have used a private server, but my take on this is that if not the server, the Repugs, especially those aligned with Trump who is aligned with Putin - would have found something else to use to move up Trump, move down the other Republican candidates and defeat Hillary. Comey just helped it all along with the results we are living with now. Hillary won the popular vote by more than anyone ever has, so I assume I am not alone in my view. And look who we have now, talk about mistakes. So again I have a different viewpoint here...which of course is fine.
Quote 0 0
Ballhawk
Ritaruby, for your information.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/state-dept-inspector-general-report
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
Ballhawk thanks for this link - but when I clicked on it it said that the page could not be found...could be my computer? In any case, though I will always read what you and everyone else post and every single link if it was about Comey regarding Hillary my mind will not be changed. I have a very open mind on many things - this would not be one of them, but if you can get the link so it words I will certainly read it and try to remember to post to it.
Quote 0 0
Ballhawk
Ritaruby, sorry that link would not open.  It was the Washington Post report immediately after the State Department Inspector General released an analysis of Hillary Clinton's email practices.  It was sharply critical of her use of a home-based server in lieu of the system required by the government.  As I said before, regardless of what we may think about Comey and his comments prior to the election, Hillary's acts were the original root cause of the investigation.  Like you, I felt Hillary Clinton was a far better candidate than Trump, based on severe flaws in Trump that were evident during the campaign.  But the email issues were created by her own faulty judgement.  Also, during the campaign Bill Clinton initiated that talk with Attorney General Loretta Lynch at Phoenix airport while the FBI investigation was still ongoing, an astounding breach of protocol, about which candidate Hillary made no public comment at all.  She should have said that she recognized the impropriety of a candidate's spouse, a former President, talking with the FBI Director's superior at Justice during an investigation and shortly prior to a general election for the presidency.  Similarly, when the sexual improprieties of Bill Clinton (using the Arkansas state troupers as pimps and the Paula Jones scandal and lying under oath as President related to Lewinsky) were ongoing Hillary referred to the women accusers as the "bimbo eruption."  There you had a woman standing as an advocate for women's rights and for "breaking the glass ceiling" who was silent about numerous instances of predatory behavior toward women by her husband and silent about a gross impropriety by her husband during the  campaign. That was one of the reasons so many people said "I just do not trust Hillary" when asked why they voted against her.  Yes, she got 2.9 million more popular votes than Trump but she lost in the electoral college due to surprising results in three key states.  But if she had not burdened herself with earlier email investigations (by an impartial Inspector General and by the FBI), and if she had not remained silent during Bill Clinton's numerous improprieties, she might have carried those states and won the 2016 election in spite of Russian interference on behalf of Trump.  Hillary Clinton personal actions were contributory to her loss of the election; therefore if we are all pissed about election of a depraved, corrupt, psychopathic, paranoid, unprepared, self-absorbed braggart as President, Trump, the blame falls partly upon Hillary Clinton. 
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
You make excellent points Ballhawk. I agree about the Loretta Lynch issue and Bill Clinton issues. I was not aware of how Hillary referred to the women as "bimbo eruption" - that is disturbing. But honestly with all of her flaws I believe she not only would have made a better President than Trump - meaning yes, I also voted for her because she seemed a better choice than Trump (which admittedly would not take much) but because I felt and still feel she could lead this nation in a great way. Perhaps not another Obama but in a great way. I did want to see a woman President, but again this also is not why I voted for her. I am not at this point though inclined to blame her. I think we all need to get over the horror we received after the 2016 election-meaning Trump, Putin and cronies. That election itself was highly stressful - and move on. I do think that the "new" Democrats or any Democrat now running needs to have a clean and honest background with no "skeletons in the closet"-both in the midterms and in 2020. And I disagree that Trump got in only because of the electoral college. I think the Russian interference was greater than even the public now knows.
Quote 0 0
Ballhawk
I agree with all your points, Ritaruby, especially on the point that Russian interference in the election had more impact (favoring Trump and against Hillary) than we realize.  I think the "blue wave" is really picking up steam and that Dems will win control of the House in the November mid-terms.  
I agree the Democratic Party needs to move on (putting Hillary and Bill Clinton into the past) and pick strong candidates for the 2020 ticket.  Personally I favor Joe Biden, but I realize things could change between now and the Summer 2020 Convention.  There are at least three outstanding women who will be considered, Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, and Amy Klobuchar.  I am also hopeful the Dems will consider Admiral James Stavridis and Senator John Kerry.  Barack Obama will continue to be a powerful positive force in the Party.
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
Agreed Ballhawk. And Joe Biden has always been tops on my list, but aa you mention there are also other very qualified candidates. I think the one you mention are all excellent but am not familiar with Admiral James Stavridis - is he the person who asked Trump to drop his security clearance when he took Brennan's away - saying it would a badge of honor to be on the list of people Trump is pulling security clearances from? Or am I mistaken. And I also think Obama's presence will help a lot now, especially with the "swing voters" and those who voted for Obama then voted for Trump. I am super impressed by Kamala Harris and Amy Klobuchar and they are both former prosecutors also-I did not know they were being considered. I did hear that Elizabeth Warren is and though I think she is great I'm just not so sure she has as much of a chance to win. Corey Booker is someone who I am also impressed with and I'm sure there are many more. Would be really nice if this time we get an administration with actual political experience who are invested in their jobs and in the American people. 
Quote 0 0
Ballhawk
Admiral James Stavridis was until recently Dean of the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts, and he is now a principal in a couple of consulting/advisory firms.  Occasionally he has voiced opinions on US foreign policy, a subject he knows well, and I think he understands the kooky decisions that have been made by the Trump administration, especially with regard to the Trans Pacific Partnership (Trump withdrew from it, a dumb decision) and the NATO Alliance, and our alliance with South Korea.  After Trump is gone it will be necessary to re-establish our formerly productive and mutually beneficial relationships with key allies, particularly the European democracies, many of whom have diminished respect for the USA because of Trump's stupidity.  This will entail ending the "American First" nonsense spewed by Trump, who has never comprehended the value of joint effort among nations toward common goals.  
I agree with you that Cory Booker should also be on the list of prospective Dem candidates in 2020.  The person who asked to have his security clearance removed, in order to show support for former CIA Director Brennan, was retired Navy Admiral William McRaven who was once head of the US Special Operations Command, a post he held when we located and killed Osama bin Laden in Pakistan.  Admiral McRaven and then-President Obama worked together closely in planning and executing that successful raid by our Seals.  Afterwards McRaven was very complimentary on President Obama's leadership as Commander In Chief during that operation. 
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
Thanks for this information Ballhawk. You really know your political history. And of course I agree about everything Trump messed up. I keep being reminded of the book entitled "Everything Trump Touches Dies." Yes, when - and I am saying when and not if - the Dems take back the House and the Senate they will have beyond multiple stacks of royal and serious messes to clean up, but I believe they are up to the task. You know I would love to see Joe Biden run as candidate and either Kamala Harris or Corey Booker as his running mate. 
Quote 0 0