Monday, December 2, 2019
Ritaruby
I can't believe McCain would stoop this low, especially after how much Trump has trashed him. I thought he was better than this. Disgusting. I feel bad for him with his cancer but OMG why does he need to offer this up to help Trump and the Repugs destroy our country? Let's pray Collins and/or Murkowski come over and all the Dems hold together...and maybe even one other Republican sees the light! Ya think? Anyone see this or have a link?
Quote 0 0
droberts
So far, all I can find on it looks like wishful thinking or just speculation, although they did quote McCain as saying Kavanaugh is a good pick. Will see what happens.
"Where law ends tyranny begins"  John Locke
Locke defines tyranny as "the exercise of power beyond right." A just leader is bound by the laws of the legislative and works for the people, whereas a tyrant breaks the laws and acts on his own behalf

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men (and women) to do nothing."  Edmund Burke
Quote 0 0
Destroy_Trumpturd_Now
This is far beyond unbelievable.
Quote 0 0
Ballhawk
Hoping that I do not offend anybody here, but here is my theory on why persons like Kavanaugh are "originalists" in interpreting the US Constitution.  Yes, the Constitution does say in the 2nd Amendment that the right to bear arms shall not be infringed, but it is in the context of the preceding clause referring to the need for militias to be formed for public security and safety.  The problem with that is that it was written in the late 18th century when the nation was in its infant stages.  It did not anticipate, nor could it have anticipated, our current situation with 9 guns owned in private hands for every 10 Americans, and with the rapid-firing weapons available today, and with the modern need to keep guns away from mentally disturbed people.   Similarly the people who authored the Bible and formed Christian canon 1700 to 2100 years ago were in a relatively primitive culture full of myths about saviors, virgins impregnated by Gods, miracle risings from the dead, along with a lack of scientific knowledge.  In my mind there has never been a human virgin birth nor a human rising from the dead.  But the Catholic Church particularly holds firmly, as a basis of faith the Biblical narratives, such as Mary being the holy mother of God, in other words originalist interpretations, believing that first century mythology was actually historical rather than allegorical.  Kananaugh was schooled in Catholicism from an early age, surrounded by Christian canon with all its symbols and assumptions, all based upon literal interpretation of Biblical narrative.  Kavanaugh also states that he supports the gun lobby position, as an originalist, because it was written by the founders that the right to bear arms shall not be infringed.  In both areas, dogmatic adherence to original writing is held inviolate, a holy of holies, as if they could not be subject to amendment or enlightened re-interpretation with the passage of time.  That parallel is, in my opinion, the reason why we have inflexible people like Kavanaugh who have been culturally immersed in thinking that does not allow for evolving of "truth" into modern contexts and scientific analyses.  
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
Hi Ballhawk. I appreciate your opinion and analysis here and as usual you have provided information I was not aware of prior. My religious background is very different. Very interesting post. But - and let me know if I have misinterpreted anything in your post - I see in Kavanaugh (sp?) someone who - no matter the origin of his beliefs, has now aligned himself with the most toxic President the USA has seen in modern times-'m sure to get a plumb job for which I understand he tried but did not make it prior (anyone know about that? correct me if wrong). Of all the potentially destructive things Kavanaugh stands for, to me the worst if one wants to sum it up which encompasses all others - is the writings he has done (anyone have a link?) stating things like it is unconstitutional for a sitting President to be under investigation let alone indicted and/or impeached while he or she is President. He also has written and has made clear his views on how lenient (sp?) he would be with the President - he does not favor enforcing  the current  checks and balances for this President let alone creating new ones. Public opinion shows most people believe that Trump needs to be "reigned in" and NOT allowed to do whatever he wants, simply because he IS the President. Kavanaugh does NOT believe that-he believes that the President has and should maintain full power over Congress, the people and well, everything-and he himself implies he would give Trump full throttle "go ahead" with anything and everything destructive he wants to do. Meaning if Trump's case gets to the Supreme Court and Kavanaugh is the judge or is the deciding vote as Kennedy was many times - he would let Trump off the hook for his multiple crimes. He could also let go Manafort, Flynn, Cohen, Gates and anyone else charged. This is aside from his views not supporting Roe v. Wade, immigration rights, not supporting gun control laws/restrictions and the list is pretty much endless. He is a "Trump dream" come true and a mini Trump. And we need to make sure he does NOT get confirmed. Oh wait-and he would also kill off the rest of the ACA and protection for pre-existing conditions. So, respectfully here Ballhawk, and speaking only for myself I am not offended-I don't much care about where his ideas came from. He's bad news and he needs to not get confirmed. Is the WORST on that right wing "list" they gave Trump.
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
I agree Destroy_Trumturd_Now - McCain really surprised me with this one. Why would he offer to resign to get this scumbag judge in and kiss up to Trump when all Trump has done is trash him? Not a true Republican anymore to me.
Quote 1 0
Ritaruby
droberts, I am still working on linking but am sure I saw-yesterday-that McCain said he WOULD  resign if it meant getting Kavanaugh elected and was stated as fact in what I read online. We will see it's true.
Quote 0 0
Destroy_Trumpturd_Now
Ritaruby wrote:
I agree Destroy_Trumturd_Now - McCain really surprised me with this one. Why would he offer to resign to get this scumbag judge in and kiss up to Trump when all Trump has done is trash him? Not a true Republican anymore to me.

A dying man kissing that monster's rear end smh😐
Quote 0 0
Ballhawk
Ritaruby, you might be stressing yourself unnecessarily.  I agree that adding Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court puts at risk Roe v. Wade and gun control and maybe a few other issues.  But the Supreme Court only rules on Constitutional questions that rise to that level from disputed or appealed decisions in lower courts, as I understand the process.  Conceivably a criminal prosecution of Trump could rise to the SCOTUS on the question of whether a sitting president can be indicted or on the question of whether Trump could pardon himself.  But for criminal prosecutions of Trump associates the matter of guilt or innocence will be decided in lower courts based on evidence and the standards of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt in jury decisions.  Kavanaugh would not be involved in such court decisions.  And, as we discussed before, an impeachment bill in the House, then proceeding to the Senate, then decided in the Senate based on the two-thirds vote required for conviction, would not be subject to review by the Supreme Court.  If the Senate convicts Trump of violations specified in Article Two (bribery, treason, high crimes or misdemeanors) then that decision is not subject to review by any Court.  It is final.  Kavanaugh and other conservative Justices on SCOTUS could do nothing about it. 
Regarding McCain, I think he realizes the depravity, incompetence, and corruption in Trump.  But approval of Kavanaugh based upon that Judge's qualifications is a separate matter.  If McCain decides to vote for Kavanaugh that does not mean that McCain's intent is to give Trump a free pass on whatever charges are ultimately leveled at Trump.  It only means McCain thinks Judge Kavanaugh's background and qualifications are acceptable to him. 
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
Ballhawk, thanks for this information and as always you have educated me here. Appreciate your saying I may be stressing myself out unnecessarily but I am far from the only person who thinks harm could be done with this Judge confirmed in - despite his on paper some stellar looking background history. Petitions are going on, etc. and I can't read John McCain's mind...but in this care I am not sure that he is looking at what you said, so I have to disagree. And everything I have heard and read - perhaps it has been a bit "blown up" but really most of it says that Trump is interested in this Judge in particular because of his prior writings about a President. My understanding is that this Judge nominee could still carry a lot of weight in areas helpful to Trump...Kennedy for instance was often the deciding vote in cases. I still think it's a big deal and that he not be confirmed. Others, while right wing - on that list - and I looked up all of their backgrounds, would be better choices. I always try to not stress myself out unnecessarily just so you know...so if my post sounded a bit intense, I do step back. I take weekends off of news completely and when they flash Trump's orange face on the screen I turn it off or if recorded fast forward it.
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
Agreed Delta Flight about McCain.
Quote 0 0