Monday, December 2, 2019
Ritaruby
How can we get behind these groups of high school kids, parents and teachers? This is really important...and in the brief tv viewing I do-normally take Saturdays off of Trumpland..I saw Democrats and many others...but NO Republicans..guess they are all out on recess while Trump golfs at Mar-A-Largo with his disgusting egomaniac head in the sand.

Anyone have any ideas on how we can help? Know if they have begun a petition?
Quote 1 0
droberts
Well we know Coward-n-Chief was avoiding them.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trumps-motorcade-changes-routes-amid-florida-protests/ar-BBKE3QX?ocid=spartanntp&ffid=gz

Emma Gonzalez made a speech that should make Trump look even more like the coward that he is!!!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/emma-gonzalez-march-for-our-lives-6-minutes-20-seconds-speech-2018-03-24/

I think we can keep signing petitions and making sure we vote for candidates' that support gun control and fight to make sure the laws we have are enforced everywhere. Call our Senators and Reps, although right now I think most (repugs) don't give a rat's ass. Join the marches if possible. Hubby and I weren't there physically this time, but our hearts and spirits were with them. 
"Where law ends tyranny begins"  John Locke
Locke defines tyranny as "the exercise of power beyond right." A just leader is bound by the laws of the legislative and works for the people, whereas a tyrant breaks the laws and acts on his own behalf

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men (and women) to do nothing."  Edmund Burke
Quote 1 0
dfcloud
Emma is a true warrior! and she doesn't need an assault weapon to be one. I want so badly to be there to help these kids in some way, but life makes that impossible. I want to help by posting Emma's speech on Facebook, but I'm not sure it would help. First of all, apparently 99% of my close friends and family are repugnicans. I will not post on any of their political comments unless they are posting out and out lies (which most of them are). I start my responses with "here's the asshole fact-checker again"... The other day a very dear friend replied with "Mamawolf (my native name) as you know I am and always will be a die-hard conservative, and you can't change my mind, but I love you dearly anyway." All the others tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. I've gotten to where I don't even get on Facebook much anymore. 
Quote 0 0
droberts
dfcloud wrote:
Emma is a true warrior! and she doesn't need an assault weapon to be one. I want so badly to be there to help these kids in some way, but life makes that impossible. I want to help by posting Emma's speech on Facebook, but I'm not sure it would help. First of all, apparently 99% of my close friends and family are repugnicans. I will not post on any of their political comments unless they are posting out and out lies (which most of them are). I start my responses with "here's the asshole fact-checker again"... The other day a very dear friend replied with "Mamawolf (my native name) as you know I am and always will be a die-hard conservative, and you can't change my mind, but I love you dearly anyway." All the others tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. I've gotten to where I don't even get on Facebook much anymore. 

I am a Democrat with a conservative streak, so I'm not a complete lefty. I feel there has to be common sense used in everything we do, along with compassion and doing what's right. I believe in the 2nd Amendment and being an Army Veteran, the right to bear arms. I think some exaggerate the meaning of the 2nd Amendment, especially groups like the NRA and gun Manufacturers to their own benefits. 

No one is suggesting that all guns be taken away, but that's what those groups like the NRA get people all riled up about. There's just no reason on God's green earth to have military style automatic weapon's in our civilian population (this excludes law enforcement and military). If someone has to use one for target practice then they're a pretty bad shot and probably shouldn't have a gun in the first place. The same goes for hunting, they'd be a danger to other hunters and that's not sport. So what other reason is there to have them? To kill? We need to get rid of these, enforce all of the control laws that we all ready have and fill in any cracks with new ones.

Conservatives usually are staunch military/veteran supporters, you could try this video:

Locke defines tyranny as "the exercise of power beyond right." A just leader is bound by the laws of the legislative and works for the people, whereas a tyrant breaks the laws and acts on his own behalf

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men (and women) to do nothing."  Edmund Burke
Quote 2 0
otmichele
Dear Dfcloud,

It hurts to have friends that are thinking the opposite of how you feel and it makes you wonder how you originally became friends.  Yes, I have lost "friends" this past year or so who are republicans.  I guess that I am at that age where I only wants friends who are loving and fun to hang out with and with the like mind.  Because I can't possibly understand how anyone cannot see the lies and deceit going on in this administration, I also can't truly associate with someone who is not my definition of a friend is.  I do recommend you continue to put out to social media your views no matter what others say.  After all, I have not met a republican who isn't willing to throw their two cents in.  Good luck and remember you have friends here.
Quote 1 0
droberts
dfcloud,

I second what otmichele has said. You have friends here. I have several friends, some from my former work place, another is a neighbor. I've struggled with why or how could they vote for such a disreputable person as Trump. They are not big conservatives by any means, which made it more confusing for me to understand. I've talked some with two of these friends about it and one does now regret voting for him, she didn't think he would turn out to be such a ????(insert your favorite descriptive word for him). The other hasn't said and I'm not going to ask, though I really want to. They both told me though, that they had heard/read things about Hillary Clinton and felt she was a criminal, shouldn't get away with it and shouldn't be put into office. We can thank Russia's meddling for that. They were also worried about healthcare costs, Social Security, Medicare, Pensions/401k's etc.; neither mentioned immigration/the wall, trade, or any of the things that Trump is actually pushing right now. They were duped! All they wanted was to feel safe and secure as they move into their later years.

I'm hardly on Facebook. I've made my privacy pretty strict, but don't put much info on there anyway and will probably delete more because of Zuckerberg's stupidity. Mainly use it to post things, from thetrumpimpeachment or petitions so my friends and others will see them. I will post those to public. If someone wants to block me cause they don't like it, that's fine with me.

All I can say is keep doing what you feel is right, because you are the one that has to live with your decision. Not your friends or your family. My family, other than my husband and kids, don't vote. They think all politicians are crooks (maybe?), but they still love to bitch. My response, if you don't vote you don't have the right to bitch. I think many people that voted for Trump that are now regretting it, will be kicking themselves in the backside for many years to come.

Remember though, it ain't over till it's over! There is always hope and light does dissipate darkness. It may just take a little more time. 

Donna

Quote 1 0
dfcloud

It's funny to read this now, as I'm in the middle of possibly arguing with a cousin over gun control. Conversation so far:

Me: Hey Choo... is it legal for a regular citizen to own an M4?
Him:For a veteran yes.
Him: These parents have to have more DISAPLINE ON THIER KIDS.
Him: No comment???
Me: Sorry, I wasn't here... I agree, parents need to discipline their kids and also teach them respect, but my point is this... if the M4 is illegal for an ordinary citizen to own, why is it okay for them to own an AR 15? The differences between the two are minimal and they both are and were developed as assault weapons. So why one and not the other?

Just waiting for an answer.  Oh wait, it just came in....

Him:  Assault weapons should be banned. But we have shootings in Philadelphia everyday, Chicago, Baltimore, i can go on. Parenting is the problem .......

I'm going to wait awhile and let him stew a bit.

Manag

Quote 1 0
droberts
Thing is it's not always a minor or young person. It can be anyone, an adult who gets a hold of a weapon like that and has a mental health problem. Yes, parents should be in tune with their children so they can spot when something isn't right and get them professional help (which a lot of the school shootings were done by young people with mental health problems and it doesn't have anything to do with discipline) which with the healthcare costs and Trump and Congress screwing around with it, is more difficult/expensive to get. Adults are a different story, you have to get a court order or such to force that person to get mental healthcare if they don't want to cooperate.

So, if your cousin isn't in the service right now, what is his reason for owning one if he does? What does he say it's good for (other than the obvious)? 

I think, too, if parents are going to own guns(or as was drilled into my head in Army basic training, IT'S NOT A GUN IT IS A WEAPON, GET DOWN AND GIVE ME 20, pushups that is) and are negligent in securing them, then if a child gets a hold of it and shoots someone, than the parent should be prosecuted for that crime. It is their responsibility to safeguard that weapon. It may help to stop quite a bit of shooting deaths. IMO

Quote 0 0
droberts
Seems YouTube has now done some gun banning of it's own. I hope they can withstand all the crap the NRA and the like are going to throw at them.

But I say THANK YOU YOUTUBE!!!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2018/03/22/youtube-ban-videos-gun-sales-and-modifications/448674002/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/03/22/youtube-bans-more-firearms-videos-days-before-national-rally-for-gun-control/?utm_term=.ed019b915899

Quote 0 0