Monday, December 2, 2019
droberts
Robert Mueller has a court filing mentioning the Washington Post and the New York Times for inadequately reporting on the Russia investigation. He's concerned about jury bias or preformed opinions. Other news outlets were also mentioned, some for casting doubt on the Special Counsels investigation being legitimate.
 Paul Manafort raid was not "no knock" as reported and some inadequately reported on some of the evidence they found.

https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2018/06/21/paul-manafort-jury-selection-mueller-661648

https://amp.businessinsider.com/robert-mueller-attacks-ny-times-washpost-for-inaccurate-reports-2018-6

Guess we need to be more vigilant on information being reported accurately to us and how we store or disseminate that information for our own opinions. Can't even trust these major news outlets. Take all we hear with a grain of salt, because it may not be true.
"Where law ends tyranny begins"  John Locke
Locke defines tyranny as "the exercise of power beyond right." A just leader is bound by the laws of the legislative and works for the people, whereas a tyrant breaks the laws and acts on his own behalf

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men (and women) to do nothing."  Edmund Burke
Quote 0 0
droberts
droberts wrote:
Robert Mueller has a court filing mentioning the Washington Post and the New York Times for inadequately reporting on the Russia investigation. He's concerned about jury biase or preformed opinions. Other news outlets were also mentioned, some for casting doubt on the Special Counsels investigation being legitimate.
 Paul Manafort raid was not "no knock" as reported and some inadequately reported on some of the evidence they found.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/robert-mueller-attacks-ny-times-washpost-for-inaccurate-reports-2018-6

Guess we need to be more vigilant on information being reported accurately to us and how we store or disseminate that information for our own opinions. Can't even trust these major news outlets. Take all we hear with a grain of salt, because it may not be true.

Sorry posted in wrong category! Guess I'm out of practice! lol!
Locke defines tyranny as "the exercise of power beyond right." A just leader is bound by the laws of the legislative and works for the people, whereas a tyrant breaks the laws and acts on his own behalf

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men (and women) to do nothing."  Edmund Burke
Quote 0 0
Ballhawk
Unless I missed something, the only incorrect item pertains to the no-knock entry to Manafort's place, which was not true apparently, as it was not a no-knock entry.  However, that does not mean that all the other reporting by the Times and the Post were erroneous.  Given the embedded sources of both of those great newspapers I would bet they are getting a high degree of accuracy in their reporting about the Trump and Manafort matters.  In fact I have read many times statements in the newspapers that nobody really knows much about the Mueller investigation of Russia and possible collusion because the Mueller team has (wisely) kept it all under wraps.  I think Mueller is just covering all the basis here, making sure that it could not be later charged that the jury conclusions were skewed by newspaper reporting errors pertaining to Manafort. 
Quote 0 0
Ballhawk
Correction:  The report also says there were "many" instances of inaccurate reporting, so the Manafort no-knock story was not the only item of concern to Mueller. 
Quote 0 0
droberts
Sometimes I think reporters are in such a hurry to get the scoop out there, they may not try to get all their facts checked or verified. This investigation is so important I would think the editors would be demanding accuracy. No one wants the jury pool tainted in any of these cases. 

I know months back Mueller had stated some of the reporting being done was inaccurate, but I don't remember him elaberating on which ones or what facts. He probably should have stated which sooner.

Quote 0 0
Ballhawk
I suspect the risk that pre-trial newspaper or TV reporting could influence jurors is common, something that Courtroom judges have faced before, especially in high-profile cases.  You'd think that a Judge would have to think about that but not be overly influenced by it.  In other words, how could prospective jurors not see things in the media prior to a trial?  Only some hermit living on a remote island could not have been exposed to media.  Hopefully the trials of Trump associates, or him, will proceed without charges of undue external influences on jurors.  Personally I think I could focus on courtroom evidence like a laser beam without being influenced by what I had previously read or seen on TV, but some people would probably not be able to do that.
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
Ballhawk, I heard that Robert Mueller, for instance, say in the Paul Manafort case - is screening very carefully for potential jurors. It is difficult because it is so high profile, but believe me, I am betting that there are people in places who; don't watch tv, did not vote, and unless they feel they are directly affected by this President or his crimes, are actually more "open" to being a good juror - and I am sure Mueller will find them. On the news I heard one question he's asking is "what tv news station do you watch?" I'm betting the best answer would be "none." There are indifferent but still thoughtful people out there somewhere.
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
On the Mueller coming down on the news outlets for their reporting, he sure has a right to...and it is true that the media - especially now is anxious to grab onto any story and "make it bigger" (though with Trump I don't think they need to stretch.) Mueller is also covering himself, I think, to show he is impartial which I'm sure he is. I don't believe every word in the news outlets but I still think most reporting is true (except on Fox News!) and that we need our journalists now more than ever!
Quote 1 0
Ballhawk
Interesting question here, whether a potential juror who watched no TV news at all, or read no newspapers at all, would be the ideal choice due to having been free from influence that could taint his/her views at trial.  Conceivably there could be persons so indifferent to news sources, along with being an independent thinker, that they had not been pre-programmed to favor either side in a trial.  On the other hand I think mental ability that exceeds the average would be a plus in a juror.  If I were a trial lawyer I would want jurors that had the mental capacity to methodically weigh an array of complex arguments, particularly so that I would not lose a case due to jury confusion or jury lack of comprehension.  It seems to me that, in some cases, a juror who was an enthusiastic consumer of news events would be the best type of juror, based on the reasoning that people of above-average intellect are more likely to follow all sorts of news events than people with below-average intellect.  In other words, we should not assume that avid followers of news and issues are necessarily less able to rule objectively in a jury trial than others. 
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
Ballhawk, I think I may have been a bit misunderstood or unclear in my last post regarding jurors for these high profile trials, like the Manafort one, as just one example. I certainly think that there are avid consumers of news who are both highly intelligent and may have the ability to be objective, but in this current "high intensity" political environment I don't believe it will be easy to find those people...and my experience - and admittedly it is a bit limited in some areas - is that the majority of people fall into the far left or the far right. Logic would tell us that there must be some in between, but for instance I myself would make an awful juror in one of these trials because I have seen who Manafort is and what he has done and know I could not be objective. I agree that Mueller would want intelligent and well read jurors who would not be confused....but...I think it will be difficult to find avid followers of the kind of news out there right now who can be objective. If they exist, I'm sure Mueller will find them. I was in no way suggesting that uninformed or unintelligent people make the best jurors, just that people who have kept themselves out of and away from this horrific political mess maybe would be,  in my opinion, the  most likely to not have a bias....if that makes sense. These people, for instance may consume news briefly and then "move on" - as I admit I can not - from what is going on out there in the world. I was just putting an idea out there, which I'm sure you realize. I have all of the faith one can possibly have in Mueller's juror selection. He's a pro. And as always you make excellent points so thanks for that.
Quote 0 0