Monday, December 2, 2019
Ritaruby
I know this may not be major news but I applaud the 3,000 people in Maine who did this...and hope other states will follow suit. I think we all know the several interpretations of this act and I think it was very brave. The story I saw showed her talking to Kavanaugh. She met privately with him and now seems to believe his lies. GO MAINE! I wish they would do that with our Republican Senators in MY red state....I know she's considered an "iffy" vote...hope this made an impression. If she votes him in she and the others will have to come back to their towns with some pretty angry ready to vote Democratic residents.
Quote 0 0
Ballhawk
Interesting point by Ritaruby.  I think the whole of New England generally votes Blue, with the possible exception of New Hampshire at times.  Collins, as a so-called moderate Republican, might be putting her seat at risk, as well as motivating Democratic voters in the area, if she votes to confirm Kavanaugh.  That would be especially true if Kavanaugh, once seated on the bench, votes to overturn Roe v. Wade after Collins had voted in favor of his confirmation.  The coat hangers, I assume, symbolize what women used in the past in a desperate effort to curb unwanted pregnancies, that procedure having obviously unsafe consequences.  If the USA returns to the coat hanger days it will mean that our nation, thanks to Republicans, will have taken a turn for the regressive, the primitive, and the life threatening.  We will become one of the less-civilized nations in the world rather than a progressive, enlightened one.   With the advancements in science and human knowledge I detest the inhibiting effect upon people's lives caused by the organized religions who sometimes provide the philosophical impetus for regressive acts by a society.   And, by the way, I think the election of Donald Trump also represents a turn to the regressive and primitive by our nation, appalling much of the remainder of the civilized world.  If the USA re-elected Donald Trump in 2020 history would record a precipitous decline in the stature of the USA among nations.  It would mean we had a chance to rid ourselves of a mentally imbalanced and bigoted fool as head of state but failed to do so. 
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
Once again, Ballhawk, I completely agree with your post here. I just wish the Alaskans had also sent 3,000 or more empty coat hangers to Lisa Murkowski and to any Republican especially those who could possibly be a NO vote on Kavanaugh. I have a friend in New Hampshire and am told that their state - a large state - went to Hillary but just by a tiny percentage. I hope that those Senators who would vote a yes on Kavanaugh get NO PEACE from the residents in their respective areas. Kavanaugh, like Trump, will take us back into the dark ages literally even before the founding fathers began government. I feel certain that the coat hangers got Colllins' attention and if I had the money I'd gather and send them to every Republican currently serving GOP member. Then let them go to sleep at night with their horrid decisions.
Quote 0 0