Monday, December 2, 2019
Ritaruby
Sarah H. Sanders backs up Trump's "innocence" to reporters 9 times. Saw this on MSNBC...bolder and crazier...fortunately some of the Republicans including Grassley and Cruz are saying this would be a red line for them....ya THINK? Your thoughts? Links?
Quote 0 0
dfcloud
He absolutely cannot because of Article 2 Section 2...  and we KNOW he's guilty
Quote 0 0
Ballhawk

You are probably referring to the following wording in Article 2 Section 2, referring to the President:  "......and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment."  That would seem to mean that if the House passed a bill of impeachment of Trump he would not have the power to pardon himself from the charges contained in the impeachment bill. 
Also, even without an impeachment process in place, since it says "Offences against the United States," it would appear that he could not pardon himself from violations of state laws.  
Anybody have any additional information or thoughts on this?

Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
You are probably right  here Ballhawk. Yes, if anyone else knows anything more please post. 
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
Agreed dfcloud.  I think this "pardon power" is a brazen and impulsive move to call attention to himself-Trump-and to signal to the ones who have not yet pleaded guilty with the special counsel that he can somehow get them out...which with the latest info. on Manafort trying to interfere with witness testimony and the Michael Cohen info. mostly NOT being considered attorney client privledge - I am sure he can not pardon anyone involved in the Russia inquiry, his personal attorneys or himself. I wasn't positive, see Ballhawk's comment above and my response. Thanks for clearing this up.
Quote 0 0