Monday, December 2, 2019
otmichele
A constitutional crisis is a situation is which a member of our government refuses to act on legally resolved laws. We are currently in a constitutional crisis in which the entire Congress (house and senate), with the exception of 5 votes, passed a bill last July giving the President until last week to place additional sanctions on Russia. Trump responded last week that sanctions are not needed. This means that Trump has broken the law as his job is to execute the laws passed by Congress. It is time to demand that Trump execute his legal duties or step down. He does not have a choice of which laws to implement. That is not his job. This is the same situation Rome faced during Julius Caesar's career. Within two generations the Senate of Rome was an unnecessary governmental body. That is what will happen if the Congress allows Trump to usurp their function. Please contact the leadership of both the Senate and House to insist that they censure or impeach the president for failing in his duties.
Quote 1 0
Ritaruby
otmichele, thanks for the very informative post. I admit to not having the political back story that you have about all of this. I personally have contacted the Senate and the House and my own Senatators and Governors. With Democrats I feel it is being heard, not so much with Republicans but you are right...people make up the world and countries and we can change the narrative if enough of us are strong enough and our voices loud enough. Well put.
Quote 0 0
tom webster
I PERSONALLY FEEL THIS REFUSAL BY TRUMP TO ENACT THE LAW PASSED BY THE HOUSE AND SENATE,QUALIFIES MORE AS TREASON, GIVEN HOW MANY TIMES HE HAS VIOLATED THE CONSTITUTION. IF YOU OR I COMMITTED SUCH CRIMES, WE COULD RIGHTFULLY BE TRIED FOR TREASON. NO ONE IS ABOVE THE LAW. WHO IS RESPONSIBLE TO UPHOLD THE LAW?
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
Tom I completely agree with you. And (again I always need to keep up the hope here!) but I do believe there are some trying to uphold the law...heads at the FBI are not leaving, for instance and if forced out they become great witnesses for Mueller. I do believe Treason is in Trump's future.
Quote 0 0
droberts
We have a rogue republican partisan congress who has the majority. Until we change this, hopefully in November, these SOB' s in the House led by self-serving suckup Paul Ryan,will not do their duty and implement the impeachment process. I have written to my Senators, both are republicans one I'm sure you've heard of, Richard Burr. They have just thrown my concerns back at the House, since they are the ones who initiate impeachment. Tom Tillis, the other Senator does not want to abandon the so called forgotten people ? in this country. So I guess he'd rather have a Constitutional crisis.

I have not heard from my Dem. House Rep. But they are in the minority and the only ones to bring impeachment votes that was tabled by all republicans and most democrats.

My fear is that many American's are complacent and just going on with their busy daily lives and until it hits them personally, they are just not that interested in it. That is real scary! And I think Trump is counting on it. In a way our own citizens are enablers of this POS we have in office. Complacency helped Trump win in the first place.

VOTE 2018!
"Where law ends tyranny begins"  John Locke
Locke defines tyranny as "the exercise of power beyond right." A just leader is bound by the laws of the legislative and works for the people, whereas a tyrant breaks the laws and acts on his own behalf

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men (and women) to do nothing."  Edmund Burke
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
droberts, I couldn't have said this better. I have been thinking the same thing and many people in my life, even those who voted Democrat in 2016 or Independent are saying "just go about your daily life and don't pay attention and don't give Trump, Ryan and company (and Sarah Hucka "b" Sanders) your attention or energy. I see their point-but I think yours is as or more important...we ARE truly enablers if we are not at least in as much of a way we can - part of the resistance and everyone, it is SOOOO important to vote now in the next primary election and in 2020...you can vote by absentee ballot, you can vote many ways. In some cities there are people driving others to the polls they feel it's so important. I get the same response from My Senators and Governor, except the Democrat who feels the Republicans have ruined the country and is fighting back as best as she and her party can.  I agree, LET'S ALL GET OUT AND VOTE!
Quote 0 0
otmichele
I do not believe that the american people are complacent.  I have seen groups of people who never before were so politically involved, myself included.  I do believe we are making a difference, case in point, seats are turning blue that never were before.  I visit different communities and democrats who may have been complacent are now very active and marches all over the country people are now getting involved.  I am currently in Ireland and am in awe about what I hear and read in the newspapers.  The journalists have been spot on with trump and the articles legitimize what the democrats are trying to do   He is not well liked or respected in this country.  I try to avoid talking politics as I am kind of trying to take a break, but as soon as the Irish find out we are from American, all they want to do is talk about how bad Trump is and that he is destroying democracy.  I tell you, this man is destroying our place in the world.  So, we must keep going to resist, persist and become personally involved with our own democracy!!
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
otmichele, thanks for this post and information and opinion. I have been aware but only through the news outlets that our American reputation in the world has been diminished under Trump and that people in other countries are also horrified by what they see and read about him. I agree with you that we people are not complacent and that more and more are becoming much more politically aware and involved than perhaps any other time at least in modern history. You are correct, as evidenced by the states flipping to blue. We definitely must keep the resistance up!
Quote 1 0
droberts
I certainly hope more Americans are becoming involved and are less complacent and that it's enough to make a difference.
"Where law ends tyranny begins"  John Locke
Locke defines tyranny as "the exercise of power beyond right." A just leader is bound by the laws of the legislative and works for the people, whereas a tyrant breaks the laws and acts on his own behalf

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men (and women) to do nothing."  Edmund Burke
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
I hope so too droberts. I know everyone here on this forum is doing their part!
Quote 0 0