Monday, December 2, 2019
Delta Flight Show full post »
Delta Flight
Ritaruby wrote:
I agree with you for the most part about the judges, Delta Flight but think there are still a few good ones. I do agree that the people should choose them and that especially for lifetime appointments they should be scrutinized. At this time if we did away with the judges we would have the entire employ of Fox news on the bench I imagine!

Ballhawk posted it, not I.
Any landing you walk away from is great.
Quote 0 0
Ballhawk

I understand the sentiment that "the people" should decide the members of the High Court, but a referendum on each nominee would seem to be unwieldy and possibly more subject to deep pockets interest groups than we would want.  Currently the president and his staff review prospective nominees, then select one nominee.  That nominee then often meets with members of the Senate to present his credentials.  The US Senate makes a decision, up or down, on that appointment to the Court, consistent with the "advice and consent" process outlined in the Constitution.  Since the members of the Senate are elected by the people, the process is assumed to have an element of public representation.  It would require an amendment to the US Constitution if the country were to select Supreme Court Justices by some means other than review by the US Senate. 

Quote 0 0
Ballhawk
The last amendment to the Constitution was the 27th amendment, first proposed in 1789, had its ratification delayed for over 200 years, but finally became an official part of the Constitution in 1992.  So it has been 26 years since the last Amendment to the Constitution was passed.  Thousands have been proposed but never succeeded.  The odds are extremely low that an Amendment could be passed that would remove the advise and consent process from the Senate and place it in the hands of the general public for selection of Supreme Court Justices. One reason for that is that a member of the Supreme Court is expected to meet certain standards of legal experience, knowledge and competence.  A committee in the Senate is better equipped to evaluate those factors in a nominee than the members of the general public.
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
Ballhawk, as I have said before you surely know your political history! That being said, "His Highness "(NOT!) up there seems to be smashing through all of the prior rule of law and chopping the norms and regulations and checks and balances off one by one quickly. I hear you and I want to believe that the new Judge will be a decent one, just pointing out that what it has been said others "can not" do...he seems to be getting away with.
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
Ballhawk do you think it would require an amendment even if you are Donald J. Trump?
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
Sorry Delta Flight...I must have been sleep deprived again when I replied to you in response to Ballhawk's post. I know you will both forgive me.😃
Quote 0 0
Ballhawk
Ritaruby, the powers of the President are outlined in Article Two of the Constitution.  Under Artlcle Two, Section 2, is the following wording:  ".....and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the Supreme Court, and other officers of the United States....."  Unless I am mistaken this is the authority by which the President chooses, subject to "consent" by the Senate, the Justices of the Supreme Court.  There may be others in this forum who know more about the process than I, but I think that part of the Constitution is clear and tells us how the process has always worked.  I understand concern that Mad King Donald, our would-be dictator, might delude himself into thinking he alone controls the process, but I can see no way he could circumvent the Senate.  If there are Senators on the committee, such as Democrats, who oppose or question the president's nominee they have every right to make known their objections, but I think the majority Party in the Senate also has a majority of members in the committee.  And we know there is a slight Republican majority in the Senate who could vote in the nominee unless there are defections from the GOP ranks after the matter moves from committee into a full Senate vote.  Please correct me if I am wrong on any part of this procedure. 
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
Ballhawk I am sure you are right about this, and I did not possess this knowledge prior. 
Quote 0 0
Delta Flight
Slide 10 of 157: Scott Stantis/Chicago Tribune
Quote 1 0
Ballhawk
Great cartoon Delta Flight.
Quote 0 0
Delta Flight
Ballhawk wrote:
Great cartoon Delta Flight.

😁😃
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
Agree with Ballhawk again DF, GREAT  cartoon!
Quote 0 0
Ritaruby
😃😃😃 - For DF and everyone, Happy 4th (OK, well as happy as it CAN be under the HORROR IN OFFICE!) Have fun and don't let the creep sap your positive energy!
Quote 0 0